ABOUT THE JOB
Join us! You'd teach pop/hip-hop drop-in dance classes for adults for 1 to 5 hours per week near NCSU and downtown Raleigh, NC. Though teaching hours are very part-time, we forge long-term relationships with our instructors. Teaching experience is encouraged, but not required.
Competitive candidates have 4+ years of consecutive dance studio training in their past (or a university degree in dance or exercise science).
Job: Class Instructor (part-time contractor, long-term).
Class: Hip Hop / Street Jazz Dance, Beginner level, Ages 18+ (Adults).
Hours: 1-5 hours per week, evenings and/or weekends at studio in Raleigh, NC – near NCSU / downtown.
Compensation: $20 - $50 per-class rate (based on job readiness and experience) + regular bonuses (based on performance). If you're an experienced teacher who'd bring long-time students with you, of course we'll reward you appropriately.
Start Date: We are hiring multiple instructors and hiring is rolling, so your exact dates will flex. You'll start 1 month of paid rehearsals before teaching live classes.
- MTV moves – Significant dance experience in a relevant style: pop, hip hop, street jazz, commercial etc. Self-check if you'd be new to teaching:
- You don’t need a big breakdown to pick things up. If you see a short combo, you can dance it.
- Beyond body mechanics, you understand rhythm and can speed up / slow down / alter choreography accordingly.
- Positive energy – You’re a warm, outgoing, and inspiring person who makes people feel at home. You set the right tone so beginners have fun without feeling self-conscious.
- Clear words – In life, you mean what you say, say what you mean, and give/receive feedback with positive intention. In class, you’re comfortable leading beginners in simple language / layman’s terms.
- Show-must-go-on mentality – You deliver professional-quality service – no excuses. You think ahead, start and end on time, and resolve any issues before they affect the magic of class.
- Teach cred & flexibility – Teaching experience is strongly preferred, but not required.
- At a minimum: you clearly show technical skills, leadership skills, and high potential to combine them.
- Most importantly: you realize that MOBS has a set class format because we sell individual, drop-in classes vs. enrolled courses where people pay upfront for several months of lessons. You are excited to apply your expertise by teaching in our class format!
This is NOT right for you if you...
- Want total control over how class is taught, music, and choreography. We 100% want your expertise and input on music and routines, but MOBS has it's own class format and teaching standards to ensure beginners have a consistent, welcoming experience that makes them want to return.
- Cannot commit to teaching on any consistent basis at least 1 month in advance.
- Want to run your own studio in the near future. You’ll have flexibility to do what you love and support to excel, but we hire team players that want to grow with us.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS JOB
- Great money – Competitive hourly rate (based on experience) + regular bonuses (based on performance)
- All dance, no admin – We let you focus on what you love: dancing. No hours of organizing recitals, planning curriculums, managing costumes, arranging competition trips, searching for studio space, or other common teacher tasks.
- Easy way to stay in shape & help others care for their health – For the most part, you just show up and have fun dancing with your students. We take care of the rest! We've been moved by student feedback saying how our class format has improved their lives.
- Community – Even if you love kiddos, teaching adults has social perks! You’ll find yourself catching up with old friends and meeting new arts enthusiasts while simply doing your job.
- Modern Marketing – MOBS is committed to staying on the cutting edge of trends and technologies. You'll have an award-winning marketing and sales lead that's your #1 fan IRL. We'll hustle hard to support your growth, share your gifts, and enrich the local arts community.
- Supportive, drama-free workplace – Take a hard pass on frazzled bosses, diva colleagues, and pushy parents. We’ll give you the best of both worlds: a playful, creative environment with the reliable professionalism of a buttoned-up job. Our vibe stays upbeat because of the tight ship we keep. We treat people right and hire others who do too.